Articles Posted in Green Card

Provisional Waiver of Inadmissibility

There is new relief available for aliens who entered the US illegally or overstayed their visas and are otherwise ineligible under Section 245(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Beginning March 4, 2013, they can apply for a provisional waiver of inadmissibility. This new rule will allow the alien to file for a waiver while still in the US. If the provisional waiver is granted, the alien can apply for the immigrant visa abroad and will have some assurance that his waiver application before the consulate will be approved quickly and then return to the US as a permanent resident.

Under the present rule, an immigrant who cannot adjust status will have to leave the US to apply for a visa abroad and apply for a waiver. The intending immigrant will need to secure a waiver of his inadmissibility in order to get a visa approval. Some intending immigrants get stranded for months or years trying their luck on getting a waiver. Some get their waiver application denied and never return to the US.

The new procedure will be available for immediate relatives of U. S. citizens (parents, spouses, and children under the age of 21 and unmarried) who are unable to adjust status in the US. A provisional waiver is a request for the non-application of the penalty or bar caused by their illegal stay upon showing that a denial would cause extreme hardship to their U. S. citizen parent or spouse.

The terms “immigrant visa”, “permanent resident”, “resident alien” and “green card” status all imply the same thing. They represent the right of a foreign national to permanently live and work in the United States.

The final step in the process to obtaining permanent residence is either an immigrant visa at the US Consulate or adjustment of status in the US.

We recommend adjustment of status whenever possible. There are additional benefits that can be realized while you are in the pending period of your application for adjustment of status:

Contact Information